10. Real Madrid and Schalke have only met twice before in European competition — in last season’s Champions League knockout stage. Madrid won the tie 9-2 on aggregate and are 1.42 to win this first leg.
9. Schalke lost their home leg 6-1 to Madrid in last season’s competition, with Real converting all but two of their shots on target. Real are 4.25 to net +3.5 goals.
8. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar bagged a stoppage-time consolation for Schalke that day. The Dutchman has scored 13 goals for club and country already this season and is 3.95 to net.
7. Madrid responded from their 4-0 loss to Atletico a fortnight back with a 2-0 victory over Deportivo last weekend — this sixth win in eight outings. Madrid are 3.10 to win both halves.
6. Karim Benzema scored his 18th goal of the season in that Deportivo win and fourth in five games. The Frenchman is 5.80 to score first.
5. Schalke have suffered only two defeats in 10 outings and have kept clean sheets in each of their last three home games. They are 13.00 to beat Real without conceding.
4. Cristiano Ronaldo boasts five Champions League goals this season to add to his 33 for club and country across other competitions. The Portugal international has not netted in three games but is 3.50 to score first.
3. Of Schalke’s nine goals in this season’s Champions League, eight have come from inside the area. Striker Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting is 4.90 to score.
2. Gareth Bale has scored just two of 21 goal attempts in Europe this season and has not netted in any of his last four outings. Bale is 2.18 to net at any time.
1. Schalke have failed to score more than one goal in any of their last four home games. They are 2.23 not to score.