1. A veritable boy wonder, he started his career at Partizan Belgrade, making his debut in May 2011 aged 17. He was given a five-year contract later that summer and was called up to the Serbia under-21 side in the same year.
2. He was voted Partizan’s Player of the Year in 2011/12, his first full season as a professional. He was twice named in the Serbian SuperLiga team of the year.
3. He can play in any of the attacking positions, but favours the right wing. He is known for his quick feet, superb balance and speedy acceleration.
4. After a match against Inter Milan in the Europa League, opposing boss Andrea Stramaccioni praised Markovic, saying: “He's a player with exceptional qualities. He possesses very impressive acceleration and has a bright future ahead of him.”
5. He has made 12 appearances for Serbia, scoring twice, including against Wales in September 2013.
6. Markovic captured the imagination during Benfica’s Europa League run last season, impressing in the 3-1 win over Tottenham. Markovic started on the right, but has a tendency to come inside to influence play.
7. He was used mainly as an impact sub at Benfica, completing 90 minutes only eight times out of his 26 appearances.
8. He has requested the number 50 shirt, recently vacated by youngster Adam Morgan.
Liverpool are 10.00 to win the 2014/15 Premier League - Bet Now!